Friday 23 August 2013

Stunning hyper-real paintings that look just like photographs reflect famous landmarks


Artist Simon Hennessey has painted dozens of iconic landmarks over the last five years, including the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben and Tower Bridge



These stunning images of famous landmarks reflected in the lenses of sunglasses would be impressive enough as photos - but they are actually paintings.
These hyper-realistic works are created by Simon Hennessey, and are often mistaken for photographs.
He has painted dozens of iconic landmarks over the last five years, including the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben and Tower Bridge.
Simon's paintings also feature the Guggeneheim museum in New York and the New York City skyline, Skegness seaside, Westminster and Hyde park.
Simon, 40, from Birmingham, said: "In 2008 I made a painting where a model was wearing sunglasses.
"I realised then that using the reflection of the sunglasses permitted me to explore the spatial and environmental surroundings in a distorted and warped miniature fashion."
To create the lifelike compositions, he takes pictures of the locations and a model wearing sunglasses, before taking to a canvas with an airbrush and acrylic paint.
He explained how he achieves such life-like realism in his work: "All my paintings are based and sourced using the camera, which I use only to assist me with gathering information.
"My method involves using multiple source photographs and then throughout the painting process I add or remove detail, alter depth, add textures, form and colour values.
"This allows me to and create an illusion of a reality not seen in any single photographic source, and my paintings therefore appear clearer and more distinct than a photograph."
His works can range in size from just inches wide to over six foot and can take between two weeks to seven months to complete.
They range in price from £3,000 to £22,000.
Simon said: "Most of my paintings are planned before I visit any locations with the camera, especially the iconic buildings which are instantly recognisable."
But he admits that not all paintings start this way. "Inspiration for some paintings can evolve from some unlikely moments. I'm always equipped with my camera and a selection of sunglasses."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...